am writing this post in the hopes that no other family will have to go through what ours recently has due to the negligence and disregard that Petland of Springfield shows towards their animals. We went in just for fun one day and ended up falling in love with a baby lop eared rabbit.

Normally I would not buy from Petland because I know of their tainted history of being a supporter of breeding kennels for dogs. However I couldn't resist this adorable little creature. I asked what I would need for her and was told that a cage, water and any rabbit food would suffice, and some vitamins that the store sold me. I went to Pet Smart to buy her supplies.

A lady stopped me to ask about my cute bunny and I told her I had just bought her at Petland. Sadly she told me she had just lost her rabbit she purchased from Petland after having it for three days. It just died one morning she said. I was shaken by this story but took my new little bunny home.

My children and I loved her and became attached very quickly. I called Petland the next day. I was a little concerned because the rabbit, now named Annabelle was having diarrhea. I offered to bring her into the vet there and would have gladly paid for it.

I was told it was simply the stress of being moved to a new environment and completely a normal situation. Annabelle continued to eat, drink, snuggle and play normally. She had no discharge from her nose or eyes so I took their word for it. Two days later I called and said she still had the diarrhea and that I was becoming concerned.

I asked specifically if there was any way the feed I bought her at PetSmart could be causing the diarrhea. I was again assured as long as I was giving her the vitamins I was sold there was absolutely no need for her to see a vet. Annabelle died in her cage hours later. I called the store and they offered to exchange her out for a live rabbit, as if she was a garment that had been purchased and was not quite the right size.

Even though we had Annabelle for only three days she could not be replaced so easily for us. Petland returned the money for the rabbit in exchange for her corpse. I then began trying to investigate what caused Annabelle's death. I called a rabbit breeder and a veterinarian who both informed me it was the sudden change of feed on her sensitive system that killed Annabelle.

It was devastating to learn that this could have been prevented. I trusted that anyone who sold an animal would have some knowledge of how to care for it or at least be able to say, "I don't know. Call someone who does." I called the store manager and told him of my findings to which he said he would bring it up to his employees at the next training. I wonder how many innocent Annabelles will suffer and die unnecessarily before he does or how many children will cry themselves to sleep because their new friend passed away in their presence.

I suppose it doesn't matter to Petland as long as they continue to make their next buck and hopefully some of the buyers won't bother to get or save the warranties to their animals. Now I know why my gut instinct told me not to purchase ANYTHING from these people. I hope someone runs them out of business soon. And my hope is if you are looking for a little friend in the form of fish, bunny, dog, or any other animal you will be wiser than I was and buy or adopt elsewhere.

Please do not support this unethical and cruel business. If you need any other information feel free to google other complaints of misconduct and horrendous behavior this business has committed against animals.

I only wish I had to begin with.

Product or Service Mentioned: Petland Dog.

Comments

We just went through the same thing yesterday. We went to pet land in Rome ga just to let our 3yo look at the animals and saw this 9wk old grey rex bunny and our son fell in love with it.

We bought there bunny kit and food that they suggested and everything seemed fine until 3 days later and as I was leaving for work I looked down to check on her and she was dead. I have no idea what could have happened.

The same thing kinda happened to me. I'm 16 and was 15 at the time that I got my third bunny.

I had plenty of experience and did everything I could. Our first one momoski was put down because the malnutrition from the oet store made him sick. The emergency veterinary hospital said "he just gave up on living". We went back and all they said is we can give you a new one.

Of course we spent like 800 dollars on this bunny and we got none back. Our trade was AMAZING! YET ANOTHER SICK DYING BABY BUNNY! He's still currently living yet he has puss infection that's very bad.

It's taken over more than half of this pour bunnies face and this trauma is immense.

Now I just called the manager of the place to get "I'll call you back in 15 minutes" it's been more than that and they had no clue what to do with me. Not only do I feel like a piece of trash to them, my bunny does too.

I am sorry for your loss. Any animal's death is sad, and this one could have been prevented.

Although I do not condone buying any animal on impulse, I do agree that you should have been better informed. The people who are at Petland should know more about the animals than they do. Pocket pets are notorious for having delicate stomach's, and they should have told you to continue to feed the animal the food that they were and then slowly mix in another food. Please be careful in the future when buying animals.

Although you were disgusted that the Petland offered you another bunny like it was a defect garment, you must also remember that you bought it like one.

It wasn't a planned decision, but rather an impulse buy. You came, you saw, you liked, and you were unprepared.

#195155

Why didnt you just buy the food the rabbit ate at petland??? Why go to Petco for the food?? No animal should change their diet and go to a new home all at the same time, your ignorance speaks for itself,,,,

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #170029

na, not a good idea mojo, there are no good cat recipes for when the owner kills it because they are not talking care of it.

yeah, and rabbits are not the most stable or long-lived when taken from the wild

yes, that's right...they are wild animals and are not considered domesticated

get a cat

to mojo #783478

Actually, there is a huge difference between a wild rabbit and a domesticated. I know this because I have and breed domesticated rabbits and also have raised several litters of wild rabbits.

If you have ever been around or raised wild rabbits you would be able to see the difference. Even if a wild rabbit is found as a baby, before the eyes even open, there is no way to tame them. Domesticated rabbits often live longer than wild if they are cared for by someone who actually understands how a rabbits body works and their needs. If you have a rabbit and don't spay, neuter, or breed the rabbit they can get cancer in the organs.

Diet, personality, social needs, are just three things that set wild apart from domesticated. I could go on.

to mojo #1156964

Rabbits were domesticated more than 100 years ago. They are not wild.

They are so far removed from wild rabbits genetically that they physically can't breed with wild rabbits.

This sort of misinformation is why so many pet rabbits are "released" into the wild, when in reality it is an incredibly inhumane thing to do to a domestic rabbit that lacks the physical traits and survival instincts of a wild rabbit, and will most certainly prove fatal in a short amount of time due to a number of reasons: inclement weather, inability to escape predators quickly, inability to hide in surroundings due to coloring, bacterial/viral/parasitic infections and diseases, high stress situations or sudden noises (thunder) can result in deadly heart attacks, and, because their unique digestive system is very delicate, any changes or disruptions to their diet can be fatal in at little as 24 hours.

In cases where a domestic rabbits are released together, they can reproduce rapidly (each rabbit can produce about 40 rabbits within a year,) and if the population is unchecked due to lack of predators, they can cause a significant amount of damage to the area's vegetation. A school in Washington had to spend a lot of extra money to replace and maintain their football when it was destroyed by thousands of domestic rabbits that descended from a bunch of domestic rabbits that escaped from a local fair a few years ago.

In the future, when it comes to discussing topics you don't know much about, either for lack of personal experience or for lack of any tiny amount of research on the issue, it might be in your best interest to refrain from commenting, lest you embarrass yourself or perpetuate misconceptions that are dangerous distractions and are counterproductive.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #169666

It is a pet owner's job to research how to take care of the pet. You were the neglient one.

You are the one that caused sleepless nights for your poor innocent children.

One would think a person would reserarch how to take care of a pet before buying one. The rabbit must have been alive for a long time at Pet Smart, it died in the negligent owner's hands.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #169665

i can only guess what you are having for dinner tonight rabbit stew, the pet may have died but you can always make good use out of it's meat. maybe your childrena re upset becaue you are making a big deal out of it, get over ti it is only a rabbit and you only had it for three days, i would hate to see how you would react if it was your chidren.