On May 23, my baby Junki (2 years and 3 months old) passed away from kidney failure caused by a liver shunt (which are known to be hereditary). We've had him for over two years and we was my little miracle and angel. He was a healthy beautiful baby and we made sure of that. He always had urinating problems as a pup so we changed his diet to consist of rice and chicken instead of dog food more often and it seemed to work for a while because the problems stopped and he was healthy. We made sure to feed him carrots and alot of healthy foods (of course with a couple of unhealthy treats every now and then) to promote a healthy system since he didn't like exercising much (he tired very easily).

Our vet (recommended by Petland) couldn't figure out how the shunt was developed, but I suspected that Junki had it since we got him and everytime we visited the vet, they said he was going to be fine. I recently did some research and found that he probably had portosystemic shunts.

Suddenly, without any idea what was going on, we found urate bladder stones (about 5% of overall bladder stones found in dogs) which are uncommon in malshi breeds (less than 5%) in his urethra. Everything happened so fast and the day after we found out about his stones, he passed away painfully in my arms. It was the most heartbreaking experience of my life. After doing some research, I found out that Petland got their puppies from puppy mills, and I can only suspect that Junki recieved his liver shunt genetically from his parents and the poor treatment in the puppy mills. I can't explain how heartbroken I am.

NEVER GET YOUR PUPPIES FROM A PETSTORE! ESPECIALLY PETLAND! You can't trust where their puppies come from and what conditions they lived in. I am so disapointed in myself for supporting puppy mills and pet stores and letting Junki suffer that way. I love him so much and I don't want anyone to lose someone they love the same way.

Review about: Petland Dog.

Had an Experience with Petland?

Comments

Pixiegirl

This is a heart breaking story.I am so sorry to hear about Junki.

I am a small breeder and while sometime it has been tempting to sell a litter to a pet store, this is why I don't. I only have 4 breeding dams and only breed them once a year each.This keeps them healthy so that they have healthy litters.

My husband and I are on disability and believe me sometimes money is tight, but I will never sell even one puppy to a pet store.I am sorry for your lose and hope you are able to find a reputable breeder when you are ready for a new baby.

If you just need a friend to talk to you can email me at reames962@gmail.com.Paula